I believe in hope and faith

Marissa - Surprise, Arizona

I believe in hope and faith, that you should never stop working towards what you believe in. As long as you think you can make it, you can achieve anything. My name is Marissa, I used to be shy and very reserved, and I used to not view myself as much.

When I was in sixth grade, I remember going to a football game and watching the cheerleaders at halftime. I remember thinking that I wanted to be one of them. The season was coming to an end and tryouts for basketball season were coming. I remember going to one of the meetings, really excited, getting all of the packets and all the papers needed to try out.

The following day I went to try outs, papers filled out, packets signed. “Marissa what are you doing here? We already have a mascot!” “Cheerleaders have to wear their hair in ponytails, which means you have to have hair.” Everyone laughed and I felt like crying I didn’t want to be a cheerleader, I couldn’t, I wasn’t tall enough, skinny enough, or pretty enough. For the next year I sort of resented cheerleaders.

I moved to the small city of Tallmadge, Ohio. A school with cliques, and “popular kids”, like you see in movies. It sort of made me resent cheerleaders more; they were mean, conniving, and super preppy. The little ounce of wanting to be a cheerleader that I had left was starting to fade, but I never quit believing.

Eighth grade I moved to a little town in Arizona, it was the beginning of the school year; I had a fresh new start in life. A new chance, I had no reason not to try out, nothing was holding me back now. My English teacher began talking about cheerleading tryouts. It was a brand new year and sort of a new me. So I tried out and I made it, moral of the story is, don’t let go of things you really want. As long as you believe in yourself anything that you want is possible. Don’t let go of your dreams, no matter who tries to bring you down or stop you on your journey. There will always be people who are jealous of you. Ignore everything they say, they’re just trying to bring you down. I believe you shouldn’t lose hope, keep your faith, you must believe before you achieve.