Follow your dreams

Tyler - El Mirage, Arizona

I believe that if a person has a dream, they should go for it. I don’t believe that anything is unreal. If someone wants to be an actor/actress, for example, they should pursue that dream. I personally want to be a guitarist or a drummer, maybe a singer, for a heavy metal band.

My love for rock and heavy metal began when I was 11. My stepdad and I were on a road trip up to California, just to go to the beaches and get away. We were fighting over the radio; I wanted a rap station, he wanted a techno station. We both agreed on a rock station and after a few hours, we started singing along to every song we knew. It was the most memorable time I had with him, because he and my mom recently got divorced. It tore me up inside because I had such a strong bond with my stepdad, but I couldn’t just leave my mom alone.

Soon after their divorce, I graduated 8th grade. My grandparents bought me a guitar and an amp for a present, and got me a single lesson. That guitar lesson taught me two things; how to speed-pick and to follow your dreams: don’t let anyone bring you down, and don’t settle for anything less than your goal.

I followed his guidance and practiced CONSTANTLY! Every day, during summer, I would wake up, eat breakfast, practice guitar for a few hours, eat lunch, play games, and practice until dinner. I was determined to become a famous guitarist—So much so, that I began practicing overnight on an acoustic. By the end of the summer, I had broken countless strings, learned many tricks, and lost probably 100 picks, either due to misplacement or due to them just breaking.

Now, I can play almost any classic rock song ever made, other than the solos. I just either play randomly on my guitar until I recognized a tune, or look up the tabs for the song. Either way, once I learn a song, I can play it no matter where I am. I am also looking at joining a band— Just a simple teen band, but nonetheless, a band. I already have a few songs written for my future band, and have a few practices to go to.

All in all, I think that if someone like me can make this kind of progress on his dream, why can’t everyone else? Everyone should have the chance to follow their dream, whether it may be joining the army, or going out to space. “Dreams are like stars…you may never touch them, but if you follow them they will lead you to your destiny.”