Everyone Has a Hero

Irma - Los Angeles, California

Everyone Has a Hero

I believe everyone has a hero. A hero is someone that works quietly and achieves what they want in life, not someone that just gets glamour from people. A hero to me is my mom.

My mom is my hero because she is fighting for her health because she has cancer. She is trying to survive and at the same time she is being a mom. What she wants to fight for is to get better and be there for her daughters, like a regular mom.

For example, she reminds me of Batman. Batman overcomes obstacles. Like in the movies he made he was strong and never backed down to fight an enemy, even though he was getting his butt beat up. He also had his ups and downs, just like a regular human being.

Like Batman, my mom has had her ups and downs, but in the end she overcomes her problems. When we found out about her dramatic illness, cancer, we were in shock. It was so surprising for us to hear that news because she was always so happy and full of life. When my mom found out she had a tumor in her neck, she got really depressed. She didn’t know what to do with her life anymore. It was as if she didn’t care for herself anymore. She just wanted to quit life. That, for me, my two sisters and my brother was really hard. I mean we needed her then and we still do. She couldn’t be there for us the same way we wanted her to be. I couldn’t talk to her about stuff because she wouldn’t feel like talking. But she overcame that as time went by.

My whole family waiting to find out what happen, the day of her operation was very scary. I was scared for her because I had doubts in my mind. I kept asking myself, what if something goes wrong, what if she doesn’t come back? But, my brother kept reassuring me that everything will be all right. Hours later the doctor came out and told us that she was going to be OK and the operation went well. He had told us that he took out a tumor the size of a baseball, a little bigger though.

Despite what she went through, she kept up her hope. One good example is that even though she had her surgery she turned around and took another step and started a new life. I think she never gave up hope because she has so much support by many different people, especially her daughters. It affects her in many ways because she suffers everyday knowing that she has cancer. She cries every night because of that.

She is someone that never gives up when looking for a solution to care for her daughters and the cancer she’s fighting. She is trying to resolve a severe cancer trauma she can’t fix.

We were so grateful that everything went okay and that we would have our mom back. Months having past by, everything went back to normal.

That’s why I believe my mom is my hero, because she endured so much stuff. By doing so, she was trying to be a mom as well. Being a hero isn’t only having super strength. It can just mean having the will to go on, to be brave, and to never give up and just keeping your head up.