Being in Charge

Sarah - St.Davids, Pennsylvania

I believe that no one should base their life around others opinions and beliefs. That everyone should follow dreams of what they personally seek in life. My personal path of where I see myself going in life is nothing close to what my parents think I should have. My parents’ are typical business people; they dress the part, act the part, and talk the part. I however, knew from a very young age that I did not want to be drawn into the world sky scraper offices and pin stripe suits. I would never find happiness if being a boss or running my own business. I have never wanted to be rich or wanted to live in a lavish mansion. I always wanted to think beyond the pay checks and do what really matters.

When I applied for colleges I had two lists; one list that my parents approved of and highly encouraged and one list of schools that I wanted to attend. My parents, who are both successful business owners, wanted their daughter to follow right behind them. They wanted me to go to a classy school and study business. I on the other hand, wanted to go to a small religious school where I could study something I loved, Missions and Anthropology. After the acceptation letters came in the mail, I decided to go to a school that I myself loved.

After I told my parents that I wanted to become a missionary to help fight poverty in third world countries, instead of starting my own business, they were very disappointed in me. I am sure they regretted signing all of those “mission trip forms” for me in high school and helping me send out support letters for funds. My trips to the Dominican Republic that I took now my parents wish didn’t exist. They looked back on how they raised me to try and figure out what went wrong, where did they lose their footing and let me think for myself.

They told me that I wouldn’t make any money. They asked how I would be able to help others when I won’t have any resources of my own. I told them that I will find a way to survive, because I will be doing something that I truly care about in a field which I believe needs my help. When I am my parent’s age I will hopefully be able to look back on my life and see that helping others was far more beneficial then living a spoiled life. I would rather remember sitting next to the poor and hungry on the streets, opposed to a man in a suit and tie at a business meeting. I am not following the journey that my parents mapped out for me, I am following dreams that I would like to accomplish. Nobody should be in charge of directing a life, unless it is your own.