I Believe in Music

Sabrina - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: death, family

I believe in music.

I believe that all music can tell what someone is feeling, like there is a purpose why that singer wrote a song. It could be because of love, death, family or anything else really special to them.

I can relate to a lot of songs. But awhile back in 2006 I had a terrible loss in my family; it was my great-grandpa Guadalupe Tellez. The moment I heard that he passed away, I felt horrible. I remember he was perfectly fine; he was healthy. But suddenly he started acting different. He didn’t want to get out of bed; he hardly ate. From that day on we knew he was ill. We even had to get a healthcare provider to help him take showers, walk, and feed him. But he was still a loving old man despite his illness. He always hugged me; he kept all my family company, even though he had to ride a wheelchair when he became ill. The moment I saw him in a wheelchair it was heart-breaking because I didn’t know what was wrong with him. I didn’t know if he was okay. I didn’t know if he was going to collapse any time soon.

The day of his death was awful. My cousin Angie stayed home from school that day because she said she had a feeling something bad was going to happen. It was just her and him watching TV and she said that she saw his last breath he inhaled. It looked like he was struggling to breathe, but he couldn’t. He died from Parkinson’s disease and Congestive Heart Failure.

At his rosary, I cried so much. When we got to see him in the casket, it didn’t look like my great-grandpa. He looked so pale and empty. My family had a slide show about him, and we played a song. Not just any song. It was a beautiful song that reminds me so much of my grandpa. It’s called “Fly Away” by: Jars of Clay. I don’t know why, but every time I hear it, it makes me think of him with his big smile on his face. Even though he was sick he kept his head up high and had hope. His smile, his company, his love, his everything, I miss him. But I know he was suffering and he was sick, but now he is happier in a better place, heaven.