Live Up To your Potential

Steven - Los Angeles, California

Live Up To Your Potential

“If you deliberately plan on being less than you are capable of being, then I warn you that you’ll be unhappy for the rest of your life.” This quote by Abraham Maslow speaks to me and what it’s telling me basically is this: If you have the smarts and you know you do, yet you still don’t use them to their potential, you’re going to be very miserable and live to regret it.

My academic life before middle school I would have to say was the best so far. I

loved school. I loved going to class because I loved learning new things. I had perfect

attendance, even before I was required to be in school! My sister is almost two years older than me and I was a volunteer student in her pre school class. Knowing the answer, I raised my hand to be called on. Soon I was raising my hand and answering questions, so much, in fact, that the teacher would tell me I couldn’t answer. So I just shouted the answers out.

So when the time came for me to be in pre-school and kindergarten, I was already ahead. I specifically remember being in kindergarten reading at a 2nd grade level.

It was great! I began taking tests every other day because I was gifted. So from 2nd grade to 4th grade I was considered “gifted”. But then 5th grade came and my mom transferred me to another school. I hated it. Hating the school I was attending, I stopped doing my work in class. My grades began slipping. I was becoming unhappy, not because my grades were dropping, but because I had control of them and I was fully aware that I was letting them fall way lower than I was capable of having them.

This really hurt me in the long run. Yeah it hurt my mom to see this happen to me, but it hurt me the most. I had deliberately let myself become less than I was capable of being.

I have read stories about other people, adults mostly, turning their lives around after they too have let themselves become less than they are capable of being, after realizing what they can be or having some type of epiphany.

But fortunately for me, I’m still in school. This gives me more time to turn my bad work habits around.

Could it be that this essay is my wake up call for me to start being more than I am, that there is still a chance for me to live up to my potential?