Hard Work Pays Off

Albert - Los Angeles, California
Themes: work

Hard Work Pays Off

As John Wooden once said, “I know you’ve heard it a thousand times before, but it’s true— hard work pays off. If you want to be good, you have to practice, practice, practice. If you don’t love something, than don’t do it.”

I believe hard work pays off. If you work hard on something that you like and enjoy doing, you can accomplish many things.

Throughout my three years that I’ve played basketball for my high school, I have been struggling on defense and some what on my quickness. Sometimes I feel like a loser, and sometimes I feel like a quitter. Some days I wonder why I haven’t quit.

The reason I don’t quit is because my coach always tells me quitters never make it through life. My coach also says that I just have to keep trying and work hard at every step of the way. My coach once said, “If you want to get better you have to work hard during practice! ”My diligent coach, who is always looking out for me, is always doing this for my own well-being. He always tells me to practice like if it were a game.

Ever since the day he told me to work hard, I have been working so hard during practice and try to do the best out of all my teammates. Sometimes people tell me I try “too” hard to be good. But than I tell them, “It doesn’t hurt to try.”

After working hard for a couple of months, my success on defense was much better. But my quickness didn’t improve as much. I felt like I had to give it my all and just focus on one thing once in a while. Being quick was all that was on my mind and still is.

As of today I am still working my hardest to be much quicker and I still want to have better defense than what I have now. My coach pushes me to the limit, encouraging and helping me the whole way.

Even though I still have to learn from my other mistakes, I’m still gong to work hard each step of the way to prove to myself that working hard pays off. So I thank my coach for helping me out, and for keeping me in shape. My coach, a former USC basketball player, was my biggest inspiration.