Jaime - Los Angeles, California

Money Is Not Happiness

People think that if you have a lot of money, you can be happy. In other words they think that money can buy happiness. I think this is not true, I disagree with this comment, because I know many people that have money, but they are not happy.

An example could be my uncle. He lives in Mexico. He’s rich and he works at a company of telephones named Telmex where they get a lot of money. Actually the richest man in the world is or was the owner of this company Telmex. My uncle lives in a rich town, he has new cars, and he has everything he needs. But he never gets along with his own family. He’s always having problems, arguing, etc. His life is not happy even if he has everything in the world. Whoever thinks that you can be happy with having a lot of money it is not right.

Today the more money you get, the more you spend. Having more stuff you have to pay more stuffs. Even though they don’t really need many things you buy, many people still buy things that they don’t need, just wasting money, which is not the right thing to do. Buying too much, you will have to face more problems, worries’, like working every day to pay all those things you buy, it is just not good. Many people work a lot, they don’t rest, they don’t spend time with their families. Those people are just focusing on getting more and more money, which is called materialism. That’s the main thing many people are focusing in.

We are not rich. We don’t have a lot of money and it doesn’t mean we are not happy, because we are you could be poor and still be happy. Of course you need money to eat, to dress, and to have a place to live, but there is a difference between having money and loving money. I think its better living your life simply, not focusing only on having money. Is better to pass time with all the family to have fun hobbies or activities. That way you will have less stress, worries, problems, etc. I am not saying that it’s bad to be working and getting money. That’s good. But if we think money is the most important thing in our life to be happy, I think that’s wrong it’s not true. But unfortunately that’s what most people think as we can see around us. As long as we have money to eat, dress and a roof were ok.

When, my brother, my parents and I get together to go out to eat, go to the theaters or to the park, we have a great time. But there are some times that my step dad is tired or my mom doesn’t feel like going. That is boring. But most of the time we go out with all the family and its really fun. Once again we are not rich. We don’t have a lot of money and we are still happy. The truth is that it doesn’t matter if you have a lot of money. You can still be happy.