The Day My Heart Was Broken Into Two

Ashley - Los Angeles, California
Themes: death, family

I believe that everyone has problems or challenges to overcome.

It was a foggy day and the time was 5 in the morning on January 26, 2007.There was a loud knock at downstairs door. I knew that knock wasn’t something that I and my grandfather were used too.

The day before this horrible thing happened was a normal thing. Getting ready for school, I heard the noise that I’m so used too and that was my Niño’s snoring. My Niño was a wonderful man; he was the only man I could count on when it came to his promises. He took me as his own child when my father, his older brother, passed away when I was just one years old. I went downstairs, talked, laughed and smiled with my grandpa, and we were wondering how my grandma was doing down in Mexico because she was visiting our family. I got to school, had fun and got home to finish my daily routine. I called my Niño to tell him that his dinner was in the oven, just in case if he was wondering what I made, but I never thought or felt that the last time I would ever talk to my Niño would be that day.

It was 5 in the morning on that foggy day, and we heard the knocking and knew some bad news came with it. I thought I was dreaming because I heard my grandpa yell but this wasn’t a normal yell. It was more like I need you to come downstairs and hurry kind of yell and it felt like I was about to die because we were not used to that before. And I just knew something bad was about to be told. I ran downstairs half asleep and completely sick. My feet leading me downstairs, I saw the flashing lights and I heard the police officers walkie talkies and I knew that I wasn’t dreaming anymore.

There were saying something had happened to my Niño and we must find a way to the hospital in Downey, if I only knew that it meant to claim the cold dead body of what was my beloved Niño. It was as if I knew that I would prepare myself for something that would rock my world and never be the same after that. I had feeling that we wouldn’t be coming back with my Niño that day we would be coming back with broken hearts and horrible news that would bring all my family here at my house but not for a good thing either. This had to be the biggest challenge I had to face because knowing that for father figure whom I trust my everything will is no longer here kills me everyday that I go home and don’t hear his voice calling my name.

I had a feeling my Niño would want me to continue my life on with his thoughts and opinions always in my mind so when these challenges or obstacles happen again my decision won’t be as hard because he will always be there so I can continue on with him in my heart, mind, and soul. I have seen how much this challenge and obstacle has forever changed me and my family because I know that as for me I won’t ever be the same or feel the same because the biggest part of my happiness and my heart isn’t around anymore. And as for my family, I know my family won’t ever forget this day too because they had lost their second brother and son. I know our family won’t ever be the same.

And I know since that day freshman year I had to and overcome anything that came why way. Without the smiles and strength I had to put on that day I just knew when days like these comes around again I need to face it rather then running away from it. Because if you don’t know how to faces days like these you wont know what to do and that’s why you must try to overcome challenges and obstacles like this.