The Loss Of Loved Ones

Diana - Los Angeles, California
Themes: death, family

The Loss of Loved Ones

I believe that when you lose someone you have to grow the strength to get over it and move on. I agree with this because I have seen with my friends and family that when they lose someone they get depressed, but realize that they have to get over it sometime. It’s the best thing to do because it’s not good for them to be crying over it forever.

I remember a few years ago when I was twelve years old, my grandmother passed away and my mom was really sad. Feeling my heart beat faster, I knew something was wrong. She didn’t really seem like the same person anymore. She would try to stay away from everyone and wouldn’t talk about anything. My mom crying, my grandma had just passed away. I felt really bad for her because I thought that if she kept acting like that she would end up sick. My mom not saying her jokes, we all worried about her. I knew it wouldn’t be so easy to get over it since it was her mom and I know that I would feel the same way too if something were to happen to my own mom. A little while after my mom realized that she had to accept the fact that my grandmother passed away, so my mom turned back to her old self again.

I also remember that when I was in the fourth grade my cat Sophie got lost and one of my neighbors brought her to my house a few days after and she was hurt. She had injuries to her two hind legs and she couldn’t walk. We took her to the vet and they told us we had to put her down to stop her from the pain she was feeling. I felt depressed since I got her when I was four years old and I was already attached to her. I felt in agony and then realized that it wasn’t fair for her to be living like that without being able to walk when I had the chance to help her pain stop. My pet, a very important part of my life, had just passed away. A few weeks after I was feeling a little bit better about it and my mom decided that we needed a another pet since it felt lonely without Sophie. That’s when we got our dog Lucky.

I believe that when someone dies you shouldn’t have to forget about them right away, especially if it’s someone that you love. You should take your time and recover from the pain of the loss, but you shouldn’t take that long since it could worry your friends and family. I think that when a loved one is dead it’s OK to think about them every now and then since they are still going to be in your heart and memories. Even though it’s OK to still think about them, you still shouldn’t just focus on them because that only makes you miss them even more and that could depress you. You should just accept it and realize that life goes on and there’s nothing you can do about it.

The way that my mom and I both moved on from the loss we had was that we tried to focus on something else and realized that my grandmother and cat were now in a better place. When my cat died I realized that I couldn’t be in agony forever and that’s when my mom decided that we needed to get a new pet. The memories of my cat and people or pets we lose are important because that’s the way that they still stay in your heart and in your life.