I am a Hero

Evelyn - Los Angeles, California

I believe that you’re supposed to be your own hero.

Believe in yourself; look at yourself as a role model in your life. Notice all the obstacles you’ve been through. No matter what happens to you, you can only and always count on yourself. Only you know who you are, and can judge yourself. In the future when you look back, notice how you’ve grown mentally and gained confidence.

I believe that I’m my own hero. That’s what I’ve been throughout these 13 years since my dad left to be “happy” with someone else that wasn’t my sister, mom or I. No one knows all the oceans I’ve created with these crying eyes. I’ve learned to put all that away and walk with my head up high, with the pride of knowing that I’m a hero, my own hero, learning that life goes on no matter what.

When I got suspended in elementary I didn’t know what excuse to tell my mom. At that very moment I wished my dad were there to protect me. After this, times got hard. If he was there, and I was in trouble, I knew I could count on him. He wasn’t there to protect me from all harm, to see his little girl grown up and make her understand that getting in trouble in school was wrong. Years passed without seeing him, which made me realize I wasn’t going to wait for him all my life.

I’ve come to believe that I am my own hero because I comfort myself through moments like the one I just described as well as through heartbreaks and many more obstacles. No one has held me tighter than I’ve held myself; no one has told me not to cry when that’s the only thing I wanted to do. No one knows “Super Evelyn,” only plain and simple “Normal Evelyn.” Only I know who I really am, only I could judge myself. I learned that by his leaving was just another obstacle to face in this world of problems and pain.

I believe heroes are supposed to move on from things that have failed and know that at least they tried. Heroes are supposed to know themselves way better than anyone else, to know how they feel and how to pick themselves up with no one’s pity, to have pride in who they are.

I believe I’m my own hero; no one in my life deserves that title but me. I’m super Evelyn.