The Greatest Succes of All

juliza - los angeles, California

The Greatest Success f All

I believe that a person who has to fight in order to achieve his or her dreams achieves the greatest success of all.

When I was fourteen years old, I had to leave my country, El Salvador, and in doing so I left my friends and my family. I did this in order to achieve my dream of education. It has been very difficult, but I have learned that now that I am living without the love and support of an amorous mother, I have become stronger. Despite the difficulties that arise in my way, I am strong enough to conquer them. My limitations have become my strength.

When I came to the United States in 2006, the first challenge that I had to face was getting use to my new family. Since the beginning I knew my life wasn’t going to be easy. It’s hard living with a family that doesn’t know the importance of education and therefore doesn’t support my goals and ideals. Living with this family has taught me to depend upon myself without expecting help from anybody. I’m still dealing with this issue, but now I also learn from it. Even though sometimes I feel like quitting, I know that it is worth the effort. When I finally achieve my dream, which is to become an International Business Specialist, it will pay off.

The biggest challenge of all has been learning English. When I came to this country I didn’t know any English, it was very hard for me to start all over again, but within a year and a half, I was out of ESL classes and ready to be in regular English classes. I feel proud about this achievement because it has been very hard for to achieve ‘had only been in this country for a few months, I was always sad and discouraged. Nonetheless I never give up my dreams and from an ESL student I became an honor and AP student with straight A’s! My heart jumping, I rejoiced in happiness when I knew that I was getting straight A’s.

I strongly believe that these experiences have helped me to focus on my dreams, to fight and defend them, no matter what. My mother, a second grade teacher, is always telling me that she is proud of me. That makes me feel like I can’t fail. Expecting the best, I keep fighting for my dreams. Having almost everything against me has helped me to be strong and made me a hundred percent in everything I do. William Feather once said, “Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go.” With patience, dedication and determination, I’ll keep fighting for my dream until I achieve it. Now I just know that I have achieved the greatest success of all, which is the attitude, courage and strength to fight for what I believe is the best for me.