How Will You Do It

Jonathan - Los Angeles, California

Some say the best medicine is the will to laugh and laughing is good for you, it livens up your day. Some say that those who do not laugh are somewhat bitter and being bitter will make you ill. Choosing to laugh or not to laugh, lies within your own will. That is why I believe the good or ill of a man lies within his own will.

Many times in the past, all I could do was feel sad. From feeling “broken hearted” to being “beat in life,” a smile never cracked on my face. I tried so hard not to show it.

No matter how hard I tried my friends seemed to notice my crying inside. They saw how I wouldn’t smile. They tried all they possibly could to make me smile. For example they did things like dance in funny ways, sing songs that were literally dumb and so loud that they broke windows. They even tried to say jokes –I admit it most of them were funny– just to make me smile. Dancing, singing, joking around, everything just did not seem to work. Noticing their effort, I still chose not to laugh because I thought that it wasn’t the right thing to do at that moment.

But as my non smiling days continued to go by, everyday I felt worse than the one before.

My days dragging on, I took a very long look at myself. I felt empty and sadder than ever, but I knew what was wrong. So I thought to myself, “There is nothing to be sad about!”

As time went by, my friends continued the effort of trying to make me smile. It kind of became like a mission to them because they wanted to see me smile. Finally, though I was hurting inside, I turned my frown upside down. I finally had a smile on my face. For some reason I somehow felt free and relieved. Because of that one particular smile I let free after the joke, I went from being bitter to being as happy as I can be.

From that day on, no matter what was happening, I chose to smile and feel good about myself every single day. The will to feel good actually did make me feel good.

Now-a-days, everyday, I can’t get by without smiling because I know that with just one smile or simply having the will to smile and the will to feel good, everything will be better. Willingly smiling, good days will never fail and sad thoughts will never run through your mind.

The will to feel good, the will to smile every day of my life, made me stop being ill, stopped me from feeling empty and stopped me from feeling bitter and sad inside. The will to smile gave me health, gave me joy and makes me feel good inside every single day of my life.

Every day now, I experience happiness, the best feeling in the world by far.