Scott - Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania

Be a Little Kid Again

As children we are the most innocent we will ever be. We did not worry about how we looked, or how we would pay the bills. We were only interested in being happy and trying to have fun. If we just act like kids again we would have less stress. We need to let go of all the things society has pushed us into becoming and focus only on trying to be happy again. Children do not need the material things we, as adults, have become dependent on. We need to dedicate more time to relaxing our lives.

I remember being the happiest I have ever been when I was about seven years old. I was at my father’s, playing in the grass field in the front yard. It was some time in the summer and it was getting dark. I remember I could see a storm coming over the hills, but I laid in the field with my brother and sister looking up into the clouds. The entire sky was a light brown color as the sun hugged the mountaintop. We waited for the rain and when it finally came we ran around for half an hour letting the droplets run down our cheeks. I would give anything just for one day of that kind of happiness in my life now.

I understand that not everyone’s childhood was perfect, mine was far from it. We experienced divorce and fought with siblings. There is so much negativity in the world that children see and understand to an extent. We need to just think back to a point of our childhood that is pure and good. Everyone has at least one point that they can remember that they were happy. I believe if you think back to that point and try to hold onto that memory you can be a happier person.

As a nation we are stressful people. We are so wrapped up in our everyday lives we never seem to take time out for ourselves. Now I understand it’s hard. We are busy and we do not have the money, but we need to take the time to relax. Go play homerun derby with your friends or your kids. Go run in the rain, jumping in every puddle you see. Do whatever you need to do to feel that little kid inside you smiling.

I like to lie in a hammock during my summer days off. I swim in the creek then come home, make a fire, and sink into the net looking into the sky as the sun dims. This is my way of reliving my childhood memory. It gives me time to ignore all the worries of my day to day life. I try to completely forget about responsibility for a couple of hours and just sink into the hammock with my cat sitting on my lap. I like to dedicate a couple days over the course of the year to achieve that childlike happiness.