Eyvette - Coudersport, Pennsylvania
Themes: legacy

I believe a photo is worth more than a thousand words, it represents so much more with in a persons life; the memories that can’t be measured in value that are all so special, the friends we make and lose, the family that we may not have chosen but is still family, and many more near to your heart and dear to our lives. When you take a picture, you never know what you’re going to end up with, especially when it’s taken among friends or family. To put a price on a picture from your childhood, wedding, family get-togethers or any other moment in time shouldn’t be a goal. We say a picture is worth a thousand words, sometimes words can not describe how I feel about a picture or the way I felt in the picture. Yet at other times it’s all I can do to stop talking about a picture, be it the same one or a completely different one.

Different kinds of pictures have different effects on the person looking at them. Pictures reflect either something about the photographer focus at that moment or what the person in the picture finds important. Is the picture posed with a specific goal in mind, or is it a candid of friends or relative, taken just for fun to remember a specific day? Through the picture itself we can share those memories and achievements with the people who we care about most or even with the world. I’ve taken many pictures and I always find something, in an old picture, that I wouldn’t have remembered doing otherwise. You never know what in your life could become significant to the future of which you become or the ways you change as you grow. To be able to show your children or even grandchildren a picture, at some major event in your lifetime and be able to say, “Look, I was there, and this is what I did.” I guess being a photographer, I look at things differently and can appreciate pictures better than some, and I can understand the moment of a captured memory.

Sure you can put a price on a picture, people buy pictures every day in post cards, get well cards, posters, and many other decorative trinkets, but can you put a price on personal memories? The average human life is about 80 years. How many of those are childhood, about ten, we can’t remember unless we are told the stories and shown the pictures. Lots of questions can be asked of us but how do we answer the ones about things we don’t remember, without images to remind us? We easily could forget the little things that at one point meant so much to us. Thousands of words for one picture but a moment in a life, no matter who you are, is priceless. We all have our own memories and life experiences that make us unique. To capture some of them on film is an amazing way to relive both the good and bad moments and to be able to leave a testament to our lives, because many times the pictures we take outlive us and are passed down or shared.