Jeffrey - Jermyn, Pennsylvania

When my sister and I were younger, going for ice cream with the family was a complicated task. My sister and I argued over who sat where and who would get to order first. If you talk to two different sets of siblings, their relationships with their siblings can be entirely different. My relationship with my sister changed in many ways as we grew older and matured. The sibling relationship has more of an effect on everyday adult life than most people would think. I believe that growing up with an older sibling had a major effect on my everyday life.

My sister, who is about two and a half years older than I am, was much bigger and much meaner than me when we were younger. She always had long nails and was not afraid to use them on me. She knew what every button was and in what sequence to push them in order to make me mad. As far back as I can remember my sister and I had not always gotten along in the greatest fashion; there have been times of hate, times of love, and times of just normality, where we just got along like normal humans would. When we were younger, we fought over just about everything. I knew right then and there that this was not how I would ever settle a situation if I had any control over it. Most fights, when we were very young, were mainly a battle for attention from our parents. My parents treat my sister and I completely equally and fairly, but when we were younger, we did not see it that way. Growing up with an older sister taught me a lot about life and unsuccessful strategies for dealing with disagreements.

The way I would settle a dispute with my sister is entirely different than the way I would try to settle a dispute between my friends. With my sister, disagreements usually came down to a huge argument that would sometimes end in violence, more so when we were younger than now. With my friends, disagreements get settled through calm discussions. Growing up with an older sister taught me how not to react to disagreements between two people. I think because I grew up with an older sister, I am now able to handle situations in a more mature fashion.

Having an older sibling has prepared me with life experiences for what was to come in everyday life and how to react to it. When growing up, my sister and I fought about almost everything, and we had to be separated by our parents many times. Looking back, although sometimes not enjoyable, growing up with my sister makes me appreciate what happened to me as I grew up. I believe that sibling rivalry, although it seems to be hurtful at the time, can have beneficial consequences later in life. Believe