Bianca - 19135, Pennsylvania
Themes: love

Love Is Not Just For Lovers

An author by the name of Franklin P. Jones once said, “Love doesn’t make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.” This quote had my mind racing for a while because I never really thought about the word “love.” According to my personal definition, love is an intense emotion due to a strong affection for someone, not complicated to understand. While surfing the web one day, I came across ancient Greek philosophy on love. The Greeks believe there are three types of love: Eros, Philio, and Agape. Eros is having a strong physical attraction, Philio is friendship-based love, and Agape is unconditional love. I sat at my laptop and read each type, and personally concluded everyone’s love for anything is categorized under these three types. I believe these three types of can have an influential impact on anyone’s life.

When I think of Eros, I think about the false sense of love seen on television, where lustful thoughts and longing desires become the main focal point of two people’s interaction. My friend Ashley is a good example. She would rather have erotic relationships than compassionate ones. She acts as a typical teenage girl who thinks only a male’s physique is important. I often encourage her to change her outlook on love because I know she’s capable of true love. The media’s outlook on romance influenced her perception on love, therefore impacted her life.

Philio is true, friendship-oriented love. My close friend Jasmine and I are perfect examples of a Philio based love. We have been friends since ninth grade and attended the same high school together in Philadelphia. Going to classes, working on projects, or simply eating lunch together enhanced our friendship drastically. I know we will be lifelong friends, because friends like her influence me to become a warm-hearted woman. Jasmine’s positive impact on my life will always be graciously appreciated.

I know for a fact that I have unconditional love for so many people because my heart just feels like it is about to explode when I think about it. I have unexplainable feelings for my mother and my boyfriend. My mother is my very heart and soul. I can only give love because she bestowed it upon me first. My boyfriend, Thomas, is my better half. He makes life worth living, and knowing there is someone out in the world that loves me more than air, is nothing less than unconditional!

The Greeks’ philosophy on love sparked my interest and changed my view forever. I truly believe everyone is capable of experiencing any one of these love types. Personally, agape is my favorite because there is no better love than unconditional. It is not love itself that make my life worthwhile; but the journey I will take loving people along the way. I truly look forward to this long ride in life.