Why Waste When You Can Save?

Danisha - 48174, Michigan

Why Waste When You Can Save

“I will never forget the time when we saw the bugs in the cornmeal”. Refrigerating dry goods is something that was always done in my family. Anytime you go anyone of my family members house you will always see some flour, cornmeal and any other form of dry goods in the door of the fridge. It’s very rare, not to see some kind of dry good in the fridge, it’s actually becoming a traditional thing to us.

Growing up in my house we didn’t really have traditions that we usually celebrated or did but now we do. You might say that’s not something that would be a tradition but, I believe in putting dry goods in the refrigerator.

I never really knew why I believed in that all I knew is that my family did it so I did it to but, now I know why they did it. About two years ago we had some company over just chilling. Everybody wanted some fish so I decided to cook it. A few minutes later I got the cornmeal out the cabinet and poured it into the bowl I saw some little black things in it. I didn’t think noting of it because cornmeal has little black bead looking things in it already. So I kept doing what I was doing. As I was just battering the fish and I saw something moving so I called my mama in the kitchen to examine the cornmeal. After a minute or two we both screamed at the top of our lungs because it was bugs in the cornmeal. Everyone came rushing into the kitchen to see what happened. We were all just so iffy and feeling nasty like the bugs were crawling on us and picturing if we would have ate them.

Later on we calmed down and threw the bug-infested cornmeal away and ordered pizza but we were still very grossed out. I called my granddad to ask him why could that happen and what to do to prevent that from happening again? He said it happens because it’s cold outside and the bugs want somewhere warm and dry to live so they live in dry warm things such as dry goods. My granddad told us to keep it in the fridge so it would be cold and the bugs wouldn’t want to live in it. That’s why his dry goods are always in the fridge and never in the cabinet. The whole family heard about the story because my granddad has a big mouth. Everybody was calling us saying “what happened with the cornmeal dada told us yal had called him talking about bugs in the cornmeal but we aint believe him so we decided to call yal so yal could tell us about the story”. I don’t know why he or she would want to hear about that nasty mess.

To this day we still tell that story of what happened to the younger children and to our friends of the family. Now when I go to they house I see dry goods in the door of the fridge which is good because were making it a traditional thing in other peoples homes as well as our own. Still to this day even if the cornmeal is in the fridge I still examine it really close just to be sure. “I know that my family isn’t the only family that’s experienced this, some families have had the bugs but just didn’t know”.