Get Over It

Cassie - Romulus, Michigan

Humanity’s overall goal is not to live with the glass always half empty. We don’t wake up every morning and pray to have a bad day. Life is, and always will be, what you make it. I believe in happiness. Not the generic textbook definition, true happiness.

I won’t paint pretty pictures and imply the idea of a perfect life, because there is no such thing. There’s a difference in the lives of people who function with a positive outlook on life compared to those who can’t see the silver lining. I don’t mope around just waiting for happiness to find me; I search for it myself. I refuse to bring myself, and everyone around me down. I live for the brighter side of situations, and instead of dwelling on how awful something is, I think of how it could have turned out worse.

I’ve found that it’s not the people or the actions of others that make me truly happy. It’s how I handle and over come the harder parts of my life. Instead of deciding that my life is ruined because someone else was inconsiderate and rude, I pick myself back up and move on. Life just is not long enough to waste it on silly fights and put-downs. Life goes on, and life inevitably will have its high highs, and its low lows. There’s no avoiding the bumps in the road and the best way to take it is to hold on tight and wait for it to be over.

I stopped waiting for something to amazing to happen. I realized that nothing good comes to those who wait. And when I came to that conclusion, I started seeing all of the little things. The insignificant actions of the people around me that showed kindness towards other’s well being became clear to me. I noticed how a simple phone call or a concern for how someone is doing can make their whole day. Ironically, when I started caring about the little things, the people closest to me started caring about the little things to. Believe me when I say this, it feels wonderful when someone thinks about you and your feelings before they do something, but it’s hard to see that in a person when you haven’t shown it yourself.

Great things come to good people. Not because they’re good, but because they know how to look for it and they do expect life to come easy. Honestly, it’s easier to appreciate the little things and to be optimistic. The little miracles of life are what make true happiness.