I Believe in Fairies

Brian - Gig Harbor, Washington

I believe in fairies. I believe in fairies. I have walked among the elves of Middle Earth, I have seen the grace of the Dragon Riders of Pern. I have walked the halls in the White Tower of Tar Valon. I have ridden with the Black Company, last of the Free Companies of Khatovar. I have faced the three challenges of the Good Magician Humphrey on the isle of Xanth. I have read the inscription above the gates of hell, and without abandoning hope this day, I can tell you with no small stretch of the imagination that fairies do exists.

I have seen them a thousand times among the other fae. I have seen them as I traveled the Forgotten Realms. I spoke with one once as the Seeker of Truth. I even studied them at a school for witchcraft and wizardry. I have recounted the Lost Years of Merlin. I have spoken with the animals of Narnia, and the trainers in the dragon pits.

You may think I am mad. That is indeed understandable. Most people stop believing as they grow old. I myself did not realize the importance of this belief till recent years. I had always taken its belief for granted. Maybe if I told you a little about myself, you would find me more credible. I am now twenty-one years of age. I was born in Austin, Texas, and have lived in several states before settling in Washington. I attended a normal high school filled with people who would consider themselves normal. I have traveled parts of the world as a U.S. Marine and upon my return decided to further my education at a higher place of learning. Here I am posed with a question of what I believe. And to this I attest to the existence in fairies.

The proof of their existence is all around you, though you may need to look closely. I once met one who played for me a sirens’ call, though Odysseus could tell you the story best. I learned of one’s true name from a wizard of Earthsea. She called herself Tink, and she told me The Name of the Wind.

I have seen them Beyond the Shadows, playing with Shades Children, in the lost corridors of Neverwhere, sitting upon the Dragonbone Chair, as they observed the Wayfarers Redemption and the Legacy of the Drow. They spoke of Sabriel, and Lirael. They foretold the tale of the Fire Bringer and set forth the forging of the Subtle Knife. They had me spend a night in Howl’s Moving Castle, were they sang for me The Song of Ice and Fire.

If what I have to say hasn’t brought you to what I understand, then let me leave you with this. In our world, imagination begets creation. Fairies, imagined or real, create for us if only through imagination; worlds so grand, mysterious, heartbreaking, and breathtaking, that what we base all reality on becomes a world of infinite possibility. Where in the bindings of our physical laws we walk on the moon and in our audacity call our children prince and princess. We have created worlds that idolize the power of love, and stress the virtues of friendship, integrity, honor and courage. The belief in fairies is a belief in the imagination and the endless ethos of humanity.