Mike - Eagle, Idaho
Themes: work

I believe in working hard. If I have a choice I don’t always work as hard as I could but when it is required I never avoid it. I’m not afraid to work hard, and when I am doing something that I care about I enjoy giving it all I’ve got, and feel a huge amount of self satisfaction when I know I did all I could.

My parents always taught me to work my hardest at everything I do and they require it of me in my day to day life. I have learned many things from my father but some things he prioritizes over others. Whenever he drops me off at my mothers home his parting words are always “go to school, take care of your mother, and work hard.” My father has a mindset about life that is one of his greatest strengths, “every thing that you do you tear to pieces, you give it more than it can handle, you go to school today and you rip it a new one, you beat everything around you into submission.” He means that I must be bigger than any challenge that I come across, that there isn’t anything I can’t do, to always do the best I can, plus some.

My family is a great example of hard work; my mother’s grandmother and mother were both cotton pickers and my father’s father was on Normandy beach. My mother is a great inspiration for me to succeed academically. When my parents got divorced my mother needed to support me and herself suddenly on her own, so she knew she would need a career and in this she saw an opportunity to fulfill her dreams. She went back to college at the age of forty-four. She spent the next for years of our lives raising me and earning her teaching degree. She graduated with a 4.0 GPA from Boise State University and began her search for a job. She is currently teaching music at Eagle Middle School and is an example of how it is never to late to change your life and with hard work you can accomplish anything.

At the same time as their divorce my father lost his job at Zilog and had to move to San Jose California to work for an old associate at a start up company called Infinera. He lived in the bay area for near four years after which he moved back to Eagle Idaho, got a job at Photronics, and got remarried. He works four days a week leaving the house at 4:30 A.M. and getting home just in time for dinner. On his days off he runs a small business called Perks which he started when he came back to Idaho. These are his days off so he doesn’t work as hard as he otherwise would, only eight or so hour days.

I don’t necessarily want to be like my father however I would be pleased with myself if I have the ability to work half as hard as he does. Hard work accomplishes more than just the task at hand; it makes you a stronger, more driven individual. It helps you to have the ability to accomplish any thing that challenges you. My dream is to get my four year degree, join the US Marine Corps, and go to dental school at the end of my military career. This sounds like a lot because it is, it will take every ounce of strength and perseverance. I know that if I work hard I can accomplish anything I set my mind to and I plan to be everything that I can be, ‘not to quote the army’, and more.