The Power of Trust

Jevons - USA

The Power of Trust

I believe that trust is power because it has the power to give and to take away. I also believe that it is a difficult task because it is something that is not easily found or obtained, but it can be easily lost.

As we come into this world, we start our journey not knowing who we will meet, not knowing who we will have faith in, or who will crush that faith between us and that person, or us and the world. I say this because it is one of the most challenging burdens everyone has to face in the real world.

It is hard for me to trust, not just in people that I do not know, but also the people who are close to me because I have lost faith in a few close friends. John was one of the few friends that I have lost trust in. We grew up together in the same neighborhood and went to the same schools; we were practically brothers. I would always share my secrets or personal issues with him because I knew that he would never tell a single soul. But one day during our sophomore year, he started to make different friends and hung out with them more, but I didn’t mind because we were best friends and nothing could change that. Until suddenly, there were rumors going around and people were talking about me. The rumors were all true and only two people in the world knew about them, and it was me and John. I figured that my best friend would not tell anyone, until I heard John mentioning the secrets out loud to his others friends. At that point I was filled with rage that I wanted to punch him the face, but I chose to walk away from him and to never speak to him again.

The thought of sixteen years of friendship disappearing had made it tough for me to trust anyone. Ever since my best friend betrayed me, I have sealed and hid away many things from my other best friends because I was scared of what might be repeated and that I might seclude myself from society.

As of right now, I am in a relationship with my girlfriend and we have been together for about 10 months now. When it first started it off, it was very shaky in the beginning because all I could think about was how my best friend just turned against me. I could hardly tell my girlfriend anything about me when we are just getting to know each other. But during the ten months that I have been with her, I’ve slowly managed to let her into my life and gradually trusting her with secrets that were locked away.

Therefore, the power of trust can control the course that we choose to take. Trust also takes time to build up, but it can all be crumbled in a blink of an eye. This I believe.