I Believe in Friendship

Jorge - Las Cruces, New Mexico

I Believe in Friendship

When I was little I had no friends. In school, no one liked me. At that time I didn’t even know what friendship was. I was very lonely. Kids always played around with each other, but they never played with me. I don’t really know why they did that. But I think they didn’t speak to me because I played soccer while they played with Pokémon cards like they were addicted to them. I thought they were just being mean when they didn’t talk to me. But all that changed for me one day in fourth grade. I met a kid named Antonio. We were very good friends. We are still best friends. When we met, we were both really shy. We talked and played together. But we weren’t as close as we are now that we are in seventh grade.

After school one day he went to my house. We played with my dog Wawas. She is a Chihuahua so we decided to name her Wawas. We thought Wawas sounded like Chihuahua. Antonio and I played with toys like water guns. We would try to squirt the birds in the trees, but we never got any. They were too fast. One time we even caught a lizard. I could never catch one by myself. Antonio had the smartest plan to catch one. I remember he put a dead fly in a little box. Then somehow Antonio caught the lizard. It was very weird.

I remember one time when I was eleven; I fell in an irrigation ditch. I almost drowned. Antonio went for help. If it wasn’t for him, I would not be here right now typing this essay about friendship. Today we are like brothers. We are never separated. We even live close to each other. Sometimes if one of us gets in a fight, the other one jumps in and helps.

In sixth grade, we were inseparable. Our teacher always got us in trouble. There was this one time we got in real trouble. We decided to ditch school because we didn’t want to do our project on endangered animals. We went to a Young Park right next to our school. Antonio and I stayed there for over two hours or something like that. My mom passed by in her car and she saw us. I got grounded for life! Then she told our teachers. We got so busted! I was in a corner for half a year! But not even that kept us separated. Even during class I texted to him and he texted to me. Our language arts teacher took our cell phones away.

Today now in seventh grade we are as close as we can be. We are always together. After school he comes to my house and we still try to squirt the birds. And we still can’t get them. But it doesn’t matter, because Antonio and I will always be the best of friends.