Helping Each Other

Asnnie - USA

Helping each other is essential while we live among people because we are designed, so that people need one another. I never heard a person say they didn’t need anyone’s help in life. Whether their need is a little more or much more, all of us need someone in life in both good and bad time. We can’t say, all people can serve the needy, but a person with a caring spirit will seek to serve others. I have seen that in my mother’s life. We have passion to help cases of urgent need, especially those who possess the least and suffer the most. It is life transforming. Being kind to one another always generates a friendly smile.

I have seen and lived good deeds in life. When I was a little girl, I saw a young housewife who got up 4:00 AM in the morning working hard to provide care for her kids and for the needy. I helped cook a lot of food for her nine children and I did some carry out for orphans, I thought about my mom. Packing food with my mom for the needy and following her wherever she went was my life as a child. Ethiopia is not like America; there are not programs that help the poor or the orphans. The people who help those suffering are the people who want to do so. The orphans only get their daily bread from someone who is willing to feed them. We always welcomed to visitors in our house. One day, a messenger came to our home to tell my mom her aunt was critically sick and nobody was there to help her. She was living in a rural area, so there was no hospital or clinic around. My mom brought her aunty home, and took her to the hospital. We took care of her for four weeks until she got better. My mom was there to help many times for many people and I was always there to help mom. We loved assisting pregnant ladies when they were close to going in to labor and after, especially when they were sick and needed bed rest. My caring spirit comes from my mom.

The good deeds my mother started, I’ve continued when living by myself. I never ran out of things to do and people to help with the help of God’s grace. When I used to live in Greece as a refugee, our community was small. Everyone left their family and home for living a better life. We were busy surviving and everyone did their jobs. One time a young lady, one of us, became paralyzed (numb) below her waist and stayed home with no friends or family. After hearing about her, I set out to her house. I would carry food and drinks to her with me and assist her with her daily needs. I had to wait for one hour because she had to crawl to open the door for me. She was starving; she had not eaten for two days. She thought an angel arrived. When people are sick, especially when they don’t have anyone around, I want to be there for them. I supported more than 13 people settling in this country. I’ve helped them one person at a time. Providing their necessity by giving a room in my house, feeding them, or helping them find jobs until they became independent.

It is my thing comforting people when they are passing through sympathy. If someone loses their loved one, I help console them in their grief by going to their house, sharing food together, give them a words of encouragement and bringing fun in to their life to make them forget their pain.

Doing good and helping the needy who suffer most is the best life no matter what it costs me in this world. It satisfies my personal quest and it is life transforming. I found graciousness, patience, and tact has helped me invest in people’s lives and bring me great personal satisfaction.