Brave Heart

Julie - Descanso, California

I once knew a woman who married the man of her dreams, began a family, and headed down her road to life long happiness and security. Then a few years later came a road block that slowed her journey. The man she married was rapidly being taken from her, not by another woman but by a sly evil lurking predator that knows no boundaries. With each day that passed, she watched her dreams fade slowly into his bottle of whiskey. She finally realized he was addicted.

Her limits were tested daily each time she locked herself and her children in one room to sleep at night, each time she took a bag of cans to recycle for grocery money, each time she was forced to pour him another drink so he would pass out sooner, each time she saw the sadness in her children’s eyes. For what seemed like an eternity, she watched him drink, she cleaned up after him yet let go of all the angry words and continued to love him. She firmly believed that this man was not her husband and he would return someday. She stayed, she loved, she protected, but most of all she held on to the hope that one day her continued faith in him would bring him back.

When he left, as heart broken as she was, she never spoke nor allowed anyone else to speak poorly of him. His leaving made her realize further, that he had surrendered to the power of alcohol and all its evils. Then in spring of 1985 after many years, fighting the battle and feeling that her hope and faith had failed her, she was given a gift! Her husband returned and brought with him 60 days of sobriety. She sat down at the kitchen table that evening when all was quiet, thanking god for answering her prayers, giving her the strength to get through this time, and giving her dreams back to her. From that point forward, I watched this woman and man begin anew with their life long journey only striving harder to care for one another and to never look back.

Mom and dad have been married now for 39 years and dad has given not only himself but to each one of us the gift of 24 years sobriety. So this I believe in. I believe that strength, love and hope is all we have in life to get us through the road blocks on our journey to love and happiness. I believe that hard work and dedication will always put us back on the main road after our detours. However, I ultimately believe in everything my mother stands for. Her brave heart full of dedication, determination, passion, and devotion to the ones she loves leaves me with some extremely large shoes to fill. She is my friend, my mom, and most of all the bravest women I have ever met!