Violence Leads to More Violence

Maria - LA,, California

Violence Leads to More Violence

I agree with Mahatma Gandhi who once said “An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.” This basically means violence leads to more violence.

I had an uncle named Anthony Lopez and he was a decent man. My family and I would hardly see him. He was always busy and didn’t have enough time for us. But we loved him very much because he was just a cool person. Even though he had his bad ways, he was a nice person. I remember as a little girl going to my uncle’s house and watching guys go in and out. I would always wonder, but I never asked. I was a little girl so I would never think the worst especially from my uncle. The substance alcohol, that was addictive to my uncle.

My uncle had drinking problems and often used a lot of drugs. I think he became an alcoholic because ever since he was little my grandpa would always give him beer. So he got used to the taste of beer. As he grew, he was drinking beer like a glass of water. His drinking problems have affected my family a lot. It affected me the most because when I was little I would always hang around with him. Now that he’s dead, who am I going to look up to now? I don’t have a cool uncle that teaches new stuff because he’s gone. It might not seem like he’s a role model here but I’ll explain it later.

It all started with my other uncle Luis getting shot at. After that happened, my uncle Luis was just paranoid. He didn’t want my uncle Anthony to find out. He knew that something would go terribly wrong. But my uncle Anthony found out by word on the street. He was very angry and upset that my uncle Luis didn’t tell him anything. Without telling my uncle Luis anything he decided to get revenge. He ended up knowing which the group of guys was. To get revenge he looked for them and shot one of them. The guy my uncle shot died and he was actually glad.

After he finished doing that he started to help my mother more. He started to finally hang around with the family more. So everybody thought he had changed his ways. After two weeks, they got back at him and he died in the hospital. My whole family was devastated because even though he was so busy he was still a big part of our family. Crying, slobbering, and mesmerizing, for days because my uncle always helped me out with my homework. Even though he was always in the street, he was very intelligent. Everybody just couldn’t stop crying and I only imagined how the family of the guy my uncle killed was suffering.

Till this day I realize how killing someone doesn’t solve anything but it makes it worse. Because even though he got revenge in the end there was no point to it. But I’ll never forget my uncle and he’ll always be remembered in my heart.