Rules Keep You Out Of Trouble

Janeth - Los Angeles, California

Rules Keep You Out Of Trouble

Growing up, my mom has always been strict with me. It is really hard being hassled every time you want to do something that risks something else. Sometimes I feel angry when my mom is strict with me. As a teenager, it’s hard to stay focused on what is going to pay off in the future. It bums me out, listening to other kids talk about when they went to a crazy party and how they got home late. It sounds kind of bad to adults. To me it seems like if adults forgot about when they were once young. They seem to have forgotten all the trouble they got into when they were young. I’m sure that if adults got the opportunity to be teenagers again, they would probably do the same things we do,

especially if they grow up in the places where I’m growing up in. I think that my mom

might do some of the things I do like go to class late, talk back to the teachers and maybe

even get kicked out of class. I know eventually I’m going to become a parent just like

everyone else.

Right now it is hard to have a lot of rules. But I know that it will benefit me in the

long run. I am also glad that my mom is being strict with me because I hear all the stories

about when kids don’t make it home. Some kids that don’t have strict rules and that are

raised with hardly any rules end up in situations that I am thankful I am not in. Some girls

that go out to parties never come back home. Something ends up happening to them,

either at the party or on their way home. Some kids go out and do drugs. Some of them

get too out of control and end up doing too much and end up overdosing. Some of those

“party girls” end up pregnant. I have never came close to being in one of those situations

because my mom doesn’t allow me to go to parties. I am glad. I understand her when she

tells me “No, because something might happen to you.” It also gets me mad at the same

time because I know everyone else is going to be there and it’s going to be fun. At the same time, someone might get raped, maybe even do drugs. I know when I have children I might have some of the same rules that my mom had with me. That is because I want my kids to be the same way I am. I like the person I turned out to be. I am not on drugs like other kids and I am not pregnant like other girls and I am still alive and healthy. And

that’s the kind of person I want my kids to be. Now that I have gotten older, I realized

why my mom has been strict with me, which is to make me a good person that knows the

difference between right and wrong.