Taking People For Granted

Keith - Los Angeles, California

Taking People For Granted

I believe that most people today take their parents for granted to the fullest extent. Most people do not care about what they do and how much it affects their family and the ones they care for. On the other hand I believe that your family and ones that you care for are the only ones you need in this life because they will always be there. Friends are just a part of your life and they will be gone before you know it and the only ones you will have are your family and ones you care for.

I believe that everyone should treat their family and the ones they care for with more respect. I think a lot of people take advantage of their family because when they were young they were spoiled and they still are spoiled. Most people take their family for granted and get what ever they want and when they want it. If they do not get what they want, they will disobey their family and do what they want until their family finally gives into their needs and buys whatever it is for them. Instead of working and earning their own stuff, they make their family work for them and buy it for them.

I honestly used to be one of those kids that would take their parents for granted and treat them with no sort of respect. My parents would buy me whatever I wanted and I did not ever think about how hard they had to work to buy me all the stuff I wanted and did not need. I would buy a new game every week when I was little and did not even play with it over one week before it went in a box, stashed somewhere. Everything that I wanted my parents would buy for me. Even if I did not do well in school, they would still buy it for me and keep me happy. Demanding more games, my parents gave into my needs. It wasn’t until I turned thirteen that I realized how lucky I was to be a son to my loving parents. As I grew older my vision changed drastically because I was getting more mature and started to think outside the box and not just inside the box. I noticed that my parents were doing stuff for me and not just for themselves, and I wanted to do the same for them. For all the years I took my parents for granted I felt that I took so much from them and did not even repay them back by getting good grades in school. I then realized that I was taking my parents for granted and no longer wanted any more things until I worked for them. Since the age 13 I would like to say that I don’t take my parents for granted anymore.

Nowadays I see youngsters on the street with their parents and they do not care what they do. They treat their parents like they are worthless and do not even lend a hand with the groceries or anything at all. My lips closing tight, watching with disrespect, I want to shout at them. I am disappointed with those kids, but I can not blame them because I was once exactly like them. They do not know how lucky they are to have parents that work 10-16 hours a day just to keep a roof over their heads while they just sit at home and do nothing. I see grandmas and grandpas out in Chinatown picking up cans just to make extra money so they can support the family. I think the kids need to live one day as their parents and see how hard it is to earn a dollar and how easy it is to spend a dollar. They need to see how much suffering and pain their parents have to go through just to keep them happy, expecting nothing in return.

I believe that everyone should not take their family for granted because when you need help they will always be there. I won’t take my family for granted anymore because when I am in trouble I can always go to them and they will always try their best to help me. Most kids don’t understand how important their family is and when their family leaves them they will have nothing. I am now grateful that I have a loving family and understand how if you take your family for granted, you will end up having nothing in life and the regret that you took them for granted for all those years. My family, the people that mean the most to me, is my number one priority.