Connor - Durango, Colorado
Themes: tolerance

“Don’t judge a book by its cover.” I should just start reading the book instead of just looking at the cover and saying, “I don’t want to read this, it looks uncanny.” This is what I believe, but with human beings. I shouldn’t judge someone because of his or her race. It’s not that I always do, or that I will or that I want to, but I have before. When I did, I realized after I talked to this person that I made a mistake by judging him. We in reality became very good friends. I just had to get to know him.

My father was the one who fundamentally influenced my belief, but it was also influenced by my own personal experiences. My father just agrees with me. He is a lawyer. He has to work with a diverse population everyday. My father can’t just treat an African American client in a different way because of his or her race, form or exterior. On the other hand, my belief was also influenced by my own personal experiences, mostly with my friends. There is no bona fide story or solitary incident. It is a way of life.

I contract with people based on their actions, not their appearances. So, I feel that it doesn’t matter what his or her hide color is or what he or she is wearing, but I think that their actions and what they do for a living matters most. An exemplar, if someone of a certain race robs a bank, I feel that I can judge him or her by his or her actions but not by their race. People can make awful decisions that cause them to have a dreadful reputation. Their decisions are from their actions not their race. This is my belief.

My living seems more objective and straight forward, because people know the bases of my decisions. My world is a more optimistic place, because of what I believe in. My community has also been an affirmative place for me. I cannot say that it has been a constructive place for every person but as for me, I have been more considerate to everyone and for being pleasant and thoughtful, I have established respect.