Karen - Durango, Colorado

As things become older they do not always tend to work. What many people have now they do not use until later. Many things in the world are not used and go to waste. Everyday of everyone’s life something is usually wasted. After dinner if I do not finish the food I send it to the trash. That is why, if there is extra food, I can have it for lunch the next day. To recycle is to refurbish or reuse. Rather than throwing it away, it can be used for compost.

First, my parents say if I am going to get something to eat I should only get as much as I can consume at one time. Instead of getting too much to eat and wasting food I should get to little to eat so that if I am still hungry I can go for seconds. Each time I go to eat, I now make sure that I do not get too much so that way I do not end up wasting any. I will not get to full or be left wanting more.

I once had a donut I was going to eat, then I decided that I wanted to save it for the weekend when I woke up rather than eating cereal. The weekend soon came and I was ready to eat my donut. I went down stairs; I got some milk and headed for the donut. I got the donut and was ready to eat it when I realized that it was hard.

This is part of my everyday life because I eat everyday. It is not just with food, but even shoes, clothes, etc. There are many things in life that go to waste because we either don’t want to wear them or decide that I want something else rather than what I already have. Now if there is something that will spoil first then the other I will eat that first. If I get up-to-the-minute clothes I wear the older ones before I get tired of them. I have got a good life if I look to others for example like someone in Africa or Mexico they usually do not get new clothes every year.

Life is better this way. We do not have as much food going to waste. My shoes also last longer this way. If there are leftovers, rather than making a whole new meal for the next day, we can have it for lunch another day. I spend less money, and less time at the grocery store. It saves us time because we do not have to prepare food but just heat it up. With my spare time I get to go see and feed my animals. This helps the world by having more clothes, food, etc. for others to have. I believe that I should use things before they fritter away.