Karina - Durango, Colorado

I wake up every morning in hopes that someday Mexicans will be able to cross the border in search of a better life. There are millions of families’ torn apart because the police came and took the parents back to Mexico. Mexico did own California and Texas but America wanted more states so Mexico had a fight with the Americans between 1846-1858. At the end, Mexico lost nearly half of our territory.

There are Mexicans in search of a better life with a job in America. My family and their friends, and those friends’ families come here and about less than half of them make it pass to America. It’s amazing how they risk their life to get a better job. Most of the people that risk their life are men that leave their families in Mexico and they stay in America and send money to them, while their children grow up without a father. I have about ten cousins in Mexico that are about five to seven years old and they only grew up with a mother.

My only family member that passes the border a lot is my grandpa passes the border every spring to help my dad work in the ranch. Every year he comes and tells us his big adventure of how his journey was. Last spring, they caught him crossing the border twice the second time they told him they would put him into hail. My grandpa wouldn’t dare to risk his life, so he turned back to Mexico. Every winter I go to Mexico and see him.

Every night before I go to bed I pray for anyone that is having troubles passing the border to pass easily, and not to get caught so that they can raise money for their families waiting for them in Mexico. Sometimes they don’t come back because they forgot about them or they got caught and get put into jail then they get sent to Mexico.

In the community that I live in there are no people that make fun of me or treat me different then others because I am Mexican. They think that it is nice that I am different and speak two languages.

I believe that Mexicans and Americans should either let everyone to cross the border also Americans coming to Mexico, or not let either person cross the border. Every country can work their differences and come together.