The Way to Success

De Ying - Johnstown, Colorado

The Way to Success

If you ever want to be successful in your every day life, you should start believing in yourself, and you’ll be able to accomplish anything you want. Everything you do will need your strength, bravery, and intelligence.

Before I learned to believe in myself, I was not a smart, can-do-anything, kind of person. I had difficult times learning in school and winning competitions and games. I was one of the worst students in my school. I always became nervous and everything, to me, seemed to be too difficult. I always wished I could do a lot of things, but I always failed to do so.

When I was 9, I was unable to do math well. I felt very bad and unhappy. My thoughts were always ‘This is too hard’, and ‘I can’t do this’. Then the very day came when the big test arrived. I was nervous as usual. When the test started, my thoughts came back to me. I feel like everything is impossible. But then, I forced myself, for the first time, to push those thoughts aside and put a new thought in my mind. ‘Keep going’, ‘You can do it’, ‘This shall be easy for you’. These thoughts popped into my head and all my fears and nervousness disappeared. I concentrated hard on these thoughts. When I finished the test, I was amazed to see it. I didn’t remember what happened before the test, but I was glad to finish this test so easily.

In the same year, when I was still 9, there was another time when I needed this belief. On June 1st, we celebrated the annual Children’s Day by, in school, playing games and competitions. There were a lot of fun competitions and games, both involve thinking and skill. I started a game with my friend Xiao Liu, who is very smart. But she won the first game, and she was very happy. Inside my mind, my thoughts were ‘I can’t win this’ and ‘she’s too good’. I felt very bad and jealous. Every game and competition involved prizes and awards, which I wanted to win for my mother. I then forced myself, for the 2nd time, to push my negative thoughts away and try to concentrate on ‘I can’ thoughts. With these thought in my mind, I played a new game with Xiao Liu and I won the game this time. I was very happy; I realized that this time it was easier to put the ‘I can do it’ thought into my mind than last time.

I’ve been improving more and more on everything I do. I have believed in my strength, bravery, and intelligence. That is what in means to believe in you. Using this belief, I cam complete tests, competitions, and games better. I believe that to be successful, you need to believe in yourself. By believing in myself, I changed my past, present, and I will reach my future easily.