The

Paige - Johntown, Colorado

The “Cool” Group

When I was in 6th grade I was hanging out with the “cool” crowd. I thought that since I hung out with them, everyone liked me, and thought I was better, but really it was just the opposite. Everyone thought I was a mean stuck up brat who went through life without a clue. I didn’t realize that until I myself got kicked out of the group and I realized, they weren’t all that. I believe that being popular isn’t everything.

The only reason that they hung out with me was because how I acted to “dorks”, not because how I really was on the inside. I also realized that I hadn’t been being myself around them. Luckily, I had two other friends that have stayed true to me, even though I didn’t deserve it and I hung out with them. I was finally realizing I was glad that I had gotten out of that clique. It was a relief to talk about something besides who was a dork at the lunch table, and most of all, it felt good to come out of the shadows and be myself.

Some of the people from the cool group remained being friends with me. But they could only hang out with me when the leader of the group wasn’t around because she didn’t like me and that was why I was kicked out of the group.

This went on for a while, the leader seemed to always be mad, or in a fight with someone. Also she was always kicking someone out of the group for a stupid reason, but after she kept that up for a while, she had more enemies than friends. She also did hang out with me, but only when a cool person wasn’t around because if she was near me when they were there, she would be labeled dorkey.

I was becoming friends with lots of different people and different groups, and I was now popular myself, not because I had the newest shoes or hung out with cool people, but because I had lots of friends, was being myself, and was kind to everyone.

Soon the leader only had one friend and seemed to be getting in a lot of trouble. And yet she still thought she was the coolest. She no more had real stories to say about what she did, and had to lie a lot. And after a while of all those lies, the truth came out and there really was no reason for those lies. But those small little lies had turned into one big mess, and there was no way to escape.

I have realized ever since then that if you try to be the most popular and cool, it will only result in a true mess. And ever since that life experience, I have discoverd that being popular isn’t being the meanest to people, or being the prettiest, it’s being the nicest to people and being yourself.