Its Okay To Be Different

Celeste - Milliken, Colorado

It Is Okay To Be Different

I believe that it is okay to be different because if everyone was all the same it would be very boring. Every day at school I see kids who are doing stuff out of the ordinary, or different, who are okay with being different. I show that I am different by the way I dress, how I act, what I do for fun, and the people I hang out with. I know from experience that if you are not a certain way or you are weird you can not be considered “cool” or “popular”.

I remember one time it was spirit week. All the kids who thought they were “cool” or “popular” did not do a single thing all week to show their school spirit. They all had bad excuses like… I forgot or it was today or it was not worth it or that it was not cool enough for them. While all of them were making bad excuses others, who were not afraid to be a little crazy, showed their school spirit and dressed up crazy. They did not care if the “cool crowd’’ accepted them or not. Yes they dressed up crazy but they were perfectly fine with being different. From that day on I figured out that it was okay to be different.

I also remember that my friends and I were in cross country. Every kid in the school thought that it was a terrible sport and that it had no meaning except to make people tired. They also thought that we should do something normal like volleyball or basketball. They thought that if you were in cross country or liked running you were weird or not cool. Every day kids would ask us why we were in cross country and we would tell them, “We just like it and we do not care if you do not because it makes us unique.” We all liked it and in the end we ended up winning because we were all so dedicated to it.

If you show that you are different you are cool. No one can tell you that you are cool or not it is what you think of your self not what anyone else thinks of you. So it is okay to be different. You can be different and if you have true friends they will not care weather you are cool or not they should care about you.