Live YOur Life to the Fullest

Hazel - Platteville, Colorado
Themes: carpe diem

Live Your Life to the Fullest

Opinions are strange things. Most of us have them, but not all of us have the same ones. But, in my case, I have heard this opinion many times, and I also believe it is a great life example. I believe that everyone should live life to its fullest.

I’ve heard it several times through songs, movies, and descriptions’ telling that life is short, so live it well. But my Grandpa is the person who made this belief so personal to me. He used to talk about going on fishing trips, or seeing Mexico around the dinner table in the evenings. But every imaginary vacation or plan seemed to slip through the fingers of time.

Then, one chilly day in mid-October, we got a call that Grandpa’s long-lasting heart failure had managed to put him in the hospital. When we saw him there, hooked to many tubes and lying in bed, all I could think about was how I would give or do anything just so he could go on one of his dream trips before he passed away. But, of course, not all wishes come true, and that night, Grandpa left us.

Although loss is a really difficult thing to go through, my Grandpa taught me a lesson worth learning. To live life to its fullest, because you never know when your last day will meet you.

I try to show this belief as often as I can, although sometimes, like everyone does, I forget it for a while. I try to experience as many interesting sports, activities, games, or even dares that I can, even though I sometimes chicken out. However, my friend from Iowa (Emily Fuller- it is such a coincidence that her last name is Fuller and she lives life to the fullest!) never even thought of chickening out. Some of my inspiration also comes from her because she was a real-life example of living life to the fullest.

She rock climbs, scuba dives, rides horses night and day, and is always wishing there is another loop in rollercoasters. Just a couple months ago too, I got a letter from her, telling me how she went to summer camp and learned to ride and maneuver a kayak, alone! The things she does amaze me and the whole time she seems to enjoy them. I think everyone could learn a lesson from Emily, including me.

Oh, and a little tip. If your parents keep forgetting to let you do something, don’t forget to remind them so you can experience it. For instance, one time my mother kept rescheduling our plans to see the new museum in Denver. After I continued to tell her that I really wanted to visit it, she put it on the calendar in permanent ink, and promised we would go on Saturday. It ended up being great, and I do not regret inquiring her.

As you can see, this belief has been through the same negative situations as I have, but in the end, that is the thing that helps me over my problems. It keeps me busy, and lets me have more fun in life! I think everyone should at least try to live their lives to the fullest, because you never know when it’s your last day.