This I Believe!

Rachel - Johnstown, Colorado

If you want to succeed and have a great life, never give up. You may realize some tough times along the way, but it is well worth it, and that is why I believe in never giving up.

Throughout my life, I have been through some ups and downs, but I never gave up. During my first year of middle school, I realized that it was not going to be easy. So that meant I had to step up to the plate, and give it all I have got. So every night, I would sit in my room for about an hour, maybe even more and either study, or finish my homework. Yes, this was very boring, and hard but not to pre-occupy myself, but at the end of the quarter, I had straight A’s. And when semester report cards went out in the mail all of my grades were A’s… again. But the best part of all was that five out of seven of them were above 95 percent.

Next, if you want to do, or try to do something, giving up will not get you any where. The first time I tried to cook some thing by myself, I nearly burnt the house down. But I thought to my self, so what if I caused a “minor” fire in the microwave, (thanks to the dumb, aluminum foil). At first I thought I would never be able to cook again, but I didn’t want to think of the glass half empty, so I tried again. So after a couple tries, I finally finished baking the brownies, and they tasted delicious.

Another good example of never giving up was when I was in cross country. At our first meet, in Estes Park in the mountains of Colorado, it was freezing cold, which slowed us down, but we still had to run. The temperature went down to 15 degrees, and it started to snow. Once the race started, we figured out that the track was pretty much in a straight line, but it went up and down a very steep hill. This made it even harder to run, especially in the end when we had to sprint to the finish line. But at the end, most of our team did really good and some of them finished in the top ten runners. The cool thing about that was that there were over one hundred runners. But the point of this was to say that even though it was freezing cold, and we all wanted to go home, we still stayed the whole time, and raced our hardest.

So now that I have told you a lot about how I have tried my hardest, so far in my life, I hope that you take action, and also succeed, try your hardest, and never give up.