The Way of Life

Maddy - Johnstown, Connecticut

The way of Life

“Life is short… so why not live it to the fullest,” is what I thought my grandmother’s favorite quote was, but it wasn’t a quote at all… it was her way of life.

The saying has said and shown in so many different ways, but my grandmother didn’t just say it or shown she lived it. She lived it, and she taught me how to live it, and on day I wish to teach my children and grand children to live it too, as my grandmother taught me. She set a great example in her life time, living like no other, right up until the day she died.

When I say she lived like no other I mean in everything she did, I can give examples but even a million examples can’t show you how amazing she really was. My grandmother lived her dreams and didn’t waste a minute of her life. When my grandma was young, 18, she met the man of her dreams and soon, married. Seven years later they adopted two beautiful children, Randy Jay Adkisson and Terri Lynn Adkisson. The family lived six years in Denver, Colorado before moving to the small town of Johnstown, Colorado. After moving to Johnstown my grandmother became the head secretary at Roosevelt High School for 23 years following in her father’s footsteps, dedicating her life to education, but this only show little of her success.

After the death of my grandmother in 2007 I was lost. My grandma, my best friend, and my inspiration was no longer there to help me jump the hurdles I may face in life. And honestly the words of that amazing woman has stayed with me and kept me going. You see my grandmother made me believe to live each and every day to the fullest, and just like her it’s not a quote to me at all it’s my way of life. I live every day being as happy as I can because every second your sad is just one more second you will never get back. I laugh with my friends and have the time of my life and all for one reason. When I’m dead and gone I don’t want to look back on my life and be disappointed… no, I want to look back on my life and say I lived it to the maximum. Also I want others left behind to look at my life and say she lived like no other. That is honesty all I want when I’m dead and gone.

Many people have impacted my life teaching me respect, responsibility, and much more but my grandmother taught me how to live, and made me the young woman I am today. She made me stronger, independent, and made me believe that any thing is possible. So I stand before you today as a strong believer in my grandmother’s words but above all I stand before you as my grandmother’s grand daughter…