I Believe in My Sister

Rnee - Las Cruces, New Jersey

I am twelve-years-old and I believe in my sister. I have four other sisters. My dad is very strict. He hardly let us go anywhere or do anything. If we got in a fight or serious trouble at school, he’ll pull us out and just home school us. This is about when it started:

My second oldest sister reacted to the way my dad dealt with things. Elena fought with other girls in school when she was fourteen. Maybe not being able to do things made her act out in school. I don’t really know what happened because we used to be super Christian and she was raised well. My dad took her out of school when it got too far. My sister didn’t like being in the house all day with my dad and they fought all the time. Three years later she did something about it.

The night it happened we were folding newspapers. My mom used to be a newspaper carrier. We would help her fold them on Sunday mornings because they were extra big because of all the ads. We all got pulled out of bed at around two a.m. I ran upstairs to get Elena. She wasn’t in her room. I yelled for my closest sister, Yvonne. She came in and said, “Where’s Elena?” I shrugged. Where could she have gone? Then I remembered the night before…

I had walked into Elena’s room and she was writing in a notebook and crying. I put my head on her shoulder then asked what was wrong. She said nothing. I then asked if I could read what she was writing.

“You can read it tomorrow,” she said.

“OK, good night,” I said as I walked out of her room, “I love you.”

“I love you, too,” she said as another tear fell onto her notebook.

Elena was gone. My older sister was gone. I looked around and found the note from last night. I opened it up and read it with Yvonne. It explained that she left. It also said it wasn’t our fault and that she couldn’t stand it there with our dad anymore. She then wrote how she didn’t run off with her boyfriend and that it wasn’t his fault; he had nothing to do with this. I found out that that was a lie. I looked on the paper and saw dried tear drops from where they had fallen onto the paper.

We all went downstairs and folded newspapers. I cried all night.

My sister is nineteen now and guess what? Pregnant. With the guy she ran away with. Some of you may read this and think she was dumb to do what she did, but I respect her for her bravery. Especially against my dad. My Mom thinks it’s going to be hard for her, but I still love her, I believe in her.

I believe in Elena.