Brendon - Durango, Colorado

I believe that all people are created equally and need to be treated equally. There is one race called the human race. There isn’t more than one race, just different cultures. People deserve to be treated equally no matter what culture, religion, gender, or skin color.

For hundreds of years, people have been discriminated against because of their heritage, gender, or skin color. I believe that this should stop because of hate crimes. Hate crimes occur when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her membership in a certain social group, usually defined by racial group, religion, or sexuality. This is a big problem in all countries. If we could stop this, I believe the world would be a better place.

How I was influenced into this belief, that all people are created and should be treated equally, came mostly from my parents. They told me to like everyone just the same no matter what color, religion, or culture they come from. This is an important skill to have in life. If you can look around people’s differences, you can be a much better person.

I have experienced discrimination first hand because of being a Christian. People have laughed at my friends and me for being Christians. I sometimes feel unwelcome around friends that are of a different religion than me. Sometimes I fear for others of a different religion like what Adolf Hitler did in 1943 to the Jewish religion. This was a terrible time in history for hate crimes. Hopefully, something of this magnitude will never happen again anywhere.

Finally, I have seen Martin Luther King Jr. speeches on T.V. and I have heard them on the radio. He pushed the fact that everyone is the same and that we should all be treated equally. They wanted to make it clear that there is no difference in people other than skin color, religion, culture, heritage, sexuality, and gender.

In conclusion, I believe that if we can stop the racist people’s thoughts of prejudice, we can get through the fact that all people are created equally.