This I Believe…

Savannah - Durango, Colorado
Themes: question

“What is the meaning of life?” An age-old question, it is in human nature to ask questions. So with much thought and some help from my peers and the media, I have found the answer. I believe that the meaning of life is the pursuit of happiness.

It was the more simplistic things in my life like, “Savannah! Why did you lie to me?” or “Always do your best in school Savannah.” And “Savannah! Clean your room!” or even “ Hey Savannah, do you want to be my friend?” that helped me come to my conclusion.

So first of all, why did I lie to you Dad? Lying doesn’t make me happy, (it’s not like that) it’s something further in, deeper. The truth can hurt. I was just trying to make myself happy by cushioning the pain, shading the consequences of my actions. I believe that lying is our way of putting off the truth. I believe that when we lie we only mean to save ourselves. Not hurt one another.

The world is filled with people, at work and at school, wanting different things but pursuing the same thing, happiness. Working people want success and money, which ultimately is happiness. Students at school try for good grades. But why? Why would anyone want good grades? If it’s not for their own pleasure, it must be to please their parents. Yes that’s what it is. Everyone knows that parents want many things for their children, like success and contentment. But why do they boss us around? I believe that giving it to someone else can most easily attain the one thing that humans crave most in life, happiness. That is why parents always push their children so hard; they just want their family to be happy.

Finally, when you ask me to be your friend I will say, “YES!” I do want to be your friend. Why? ‘Cause I am human, and it is an emotional need for all humans to feel needed, accepted, trusted, happy and supported. As a human being I don’t want to be alone. I think alone is sad. I want happiness.

So the next time your sitting alone, with only your thoughts to keep you company, and you ask yourself, “What is the meaning of life?” just think, could it be that the true meaning of life is the pursuit of happiness? Yes, I believe it is.