Cheaters Finish Last

Gustavo - Los Angeles, California

Cheaters Finish Last

According to Shelly Long, “If you don’t quit, and don’t, cheat, and don’t run home when trouble arrives, you can only win.” I’ve found this is true for me, because I’ve heard a story about a football player that no one out of the NFL knows about. I heard this story because one of my coach’s brothers played for the Arizona Cardinals as a quarterback.

The story was about one of my favorite football players, Terrell Owens, also known as T.O. Terrell Owens played for the Philadelphia Eagles and when he got kicked out, they said something different than what really happened. The true story was that he used to lie about his injuries during practice and when game day came it would be like a miracle he would be good to go. One day a team member, I’m not sure who he was, but he went up to Terrell Owens and told him, “Stop being a liar and go practice.” Sweat coming down Terrell Owens face, he walked toward him. Having no one there to stop him, Terrell Owens beat his ass.

What I learned from this story was the quote I am writing about and another quote that was in my head by a guy named John Wooden: “Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.” This quote means that you could be the best in the entire world but if you are not respectful, not honest, have attitude, etc, you are not the best. What I learned from this quote is what it means: you are not a role model if you don’t have any character.

One of my goals is to improve my character and to get to the top with character. This will help me meet new people, be a role model to younger kids, and maybe to others that come here. I will get there by improving grades, being friendly, being honest to teachers, being loyal to friends, and more. I hope by doing that I get to the top of the mountain (how they say in football) and be the best I can be.

The story about Terrell Owens relates to my belief on my quote because of every thing it says and means. Terrell Owens is one of the best in the NFL, but a lot of people don’t like him because they know how he acts. Even though I like him, sometimes he kind of goes too far, because he just wants the ball to himself. And a lot of people that are fans ask “Were is the teamwork?” Even though he acts out sometimes he’s still the best in the NFL to me.