Doing right the first time

chris - los angeles, California

Doing Right the First Time

I believe that life gives you second chances. I believe this because everybody in this world makes mistakes, but not everybody learns from their mistakes. I also believe this because I see people messing up, doing what’s bad for them. Next thing you know they are doing well.

I like this idea because it relates to me; I think I got a second chance in life. I was supposed to be graduating this year. It is kind of embarrassing because even though I am 18 years old and im going to be 19 in July, I don’t think I am going to graduate till next semester which is in September 2010.

The principal and counselors talking about me, it made me think they wanted me out. They called my parents and myself into the office and they were talking about how I was messing up and that they wanted to help, but it was all up to me.

I wasn’t messing up because I wanted to. I was messing up because I had to work and pay bills and have money for my family. My family was having financial trouble and I was helping out. Having extra money in my pocket, it made me happy, but I was also always tired and restless.

Working nights, I was tired throughout the whole day at school. Choosing work over school was a bad thing. That was when I really thought about it and I decided to just stick to school.

Thinking about my diploma, I was thinking better for my future. I quit my job and now I am just trying my best to pass all my classes and finish school. I was thinking about the long term instead of the short term because I realized that I didn’t want to be working at a market my whole life.

Older People from work would talk to me about this and tell me it was better to stay in school and have a better future. My goal in life is to go to college and do something which I still don’t know.

That’s why I think I got a chance in life. But chances only come sometimes, so it’s better to do everything right the first time.