This I Beleive

Cora - 81301, Colorado
Themes: change, question

I believe that beliefs can constantly change. I thought I had clear ideas about a lot of things until I heard the other side of discussions that is the opposing point of view. I have to hear all sides of the argument to choose my battle, and know exactly what I believe.

I would say my mom, dad, and friends made me realize that I don’t always know what I am talking about. Such as, when we went to Nepal, I didn’t believe it was possible to have fun, learn and have a great time in a poor infancy country. When we went to Nepal, I had so many cool experiences. Seeing people that didn’t have what I have and just barely surviving was incredible and made me want to help them. My beliefs where changed because I had SO much fun on that trip and learned amazing things.

When I was younger I thought abortion was the worst thing in the world! I couldn’t believe that people would terminate a little baby in the womb! Then, my mom explained to me how horribly a child would be raised or living if nobody was there to love it or take care of it. There would be no money, effort or love being spent on the child. It would be like raising yourself, and that would be very hard. As a teenager, I don’t know how I would buy things, where I would live, or how I would make little decisions about what classes to take and my boyfriends. A child needs love and guidance to grow up and be her own person.

When you are in an argument, and you think you know exactly what your saying when you haven’t heard every point of view; I suggest that you listen to what everybody is saying and then choose what side to be on, after you know all points of view, you can argue all you want.

I always used to think I was right; I didn’t want to hear what everybody else wanted to say. I have learned that I should hear what everybody is saying, instead of assuming I know everything. This is how we learn and develop beliefs.