Mistakes

Eddie - Los Angeles, California

Mistakes

I agree with UCLA basketball coach John Wooden who said “If you’re not making mistakes, then you’re not doing anything. I’m positive that a doer makes mistakes.” This is something I’ve found is true in my own life.

I know it’s true because I am a doer and I make a lot of mistakes. When I say a lot, I mean A LOT. One mistake that I made in my young life was in my freshman year at Lincoln. I hung out with the wrong crowd and the wrong type of people. If I were able to go back in time and stop myself from meeting these people, I would in an instant.

The people I used to hang out with were a bunch of trouble makers. Most of them were seniors with sophomore credits. They didn’t care about school. They didn’t care what people thought of them. All they cared about was themselves. They used to get into fights just for entertainment and throw hard objects at Asians just because they were Asian. One time when my so- called friends and I were at school we ditched 6th period. Knowing it was wrong, we went up to the P.E. locker room and we broke into a lot of lockers. We got a gang of money and some cell phones.

I didn’t see that I was with the wrong people until the end of my freshman year. What made me see this was when I saw most of my so-called friends get locked up for robbing, slanging, and other bad things. Watching them get locked up, I made up my mind to stop hanging out with them. I was a freshman so I didn’t know a lot of people. I was forced to meet new people.

I learned from my mistakes by not hanging out with the same type of people. I could be cool with them but that’s it. I think mistakes are a part of life and I really do believe that they’re necessary to have knowledge in life. My life quickly passing through my eyes, I’ve decided to be more mature.