Have Fun with Religion

Sienna - Las Cruces, New Mexico

Have Fun with Religion

When I was about two years old I started to attend the Church o Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, otherwise known as the Mormon Church. I do try to follow my religion, but I definitely disagree with some things.

First of all, the Church says that gays are born with a mental disability; I think that is a horrible thing to say because in my opinion, their sexual orientation is just a choice. In our church we have Articles of Faith, the 8th Article says, “We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly.” But what if it is not correct? The Bible and the Book of Mormon have been passed from person to person for centuries and translated by people who have different ideas. Also, we say that we are the only True church. I believe that there are many different religions that have true and untrue parts. But we don’t know which parts are true or not.

After all the years of going to church and reading the scriptures I have kind of come up with my own religion.

1. Live your life and if you make mistakes, try again.

2. Don’t judge other people because of their religion or beliefs.

3. I believe in God, and parts of the Bible.

4. I also have a slight belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. 

5. I believe that God created evolution.

I think that religion is a very good thing and that we should all belong to one whether it is God or another belief. My main idea is that we should have fun with religion. Like the Flying Spaghetti Monster, it is a giant clump of spaghetti and meatballs that people actually worship. I am sure it isn’t real, but it is fun.

I really like Buddhism because of the morals. Buddhists say, “The greatest quality is seeking to serve others.” I like Hinduism because of the beautiful culture, I love to go to my grandma’s house and look at all of her statues of the Hindu gods, and the list goes on. I’m sure that I could take at least two good things out of every religion in the world and come up with the religion for me.

That’s why I don’t believe that Mormonism is the only true church. When I go to college I want to study anthropology because I am so interested in all the different religions and cultures. And if I do that, I might be able to find one religion that I am positive is true, but until then, I am going to have fun and just make it up as I go.