One Person can make a difference in Life

Sophia - Los Angeles, California

Hero’s Are There to Help

Last year was the year I thought was going to be the worst school year and the year without volleyball, but then a person came along and helped me. He became my hero and he still is till this day.

In the summer of 2008, I was having trouble getting along with the new JV coach, who’s not the nicest person in the world. He helped the coach from the year before so this was nothing new to him. Knowing him from the year before, he kept picking on me. I wasn’t expecting that.

After having the first practice with him, I knew this season wasn’t going to go so well. But I knew if I were to stay on the team I would have to put up with his nasty attitude, and not make him angry. Grabbing my phone, I walked home from a long and harsh practice and called my friend TulgaT, a guy that I met through another friend. I respected him so much because he went though so much when he was a kid because he had brain cancer. He told me one day when we were talking on the phone that he was happy that he got over the tumor and he was happy to be alive to take care of his parents. So that made me think if he could get over something like a tumor I can get over my coach. After talking to him for a while I noticed that we had so much in common and I knew he would understand me.

As days passed I was getting annoyed over how the coach played favorites. So I went home and told TulgaT that I was fed up and ready to give up the team. Knowing him, he didn’t let me because he knew I would be a different person without volleyball and my life would be living hell if I didn’t have volleyball in my life. He believed in me.

The season started, and the coach was less annoying and TulgaT made sure that my day was great because he knew my day wouldn’t go as well after volleyball. He didn’t want me frustrated. Games became a relief for me because coach wouldn’t yell so much and I was happy to be playing with my teammates and cheering for our Varsity team. It came down to our final games, and if we won them we would go to playoffs.

Our last games were against two difficult competitors, Marshall and Eagle Rock, the two best teams of our league. We beat both of them, but we were also tied with them to go to playoffs. As coach tried to be nice to us and told us he had to go to a meeting for coaches, the whole team was so excited to go to playoffs. But I knew the coach wasn’t happy with us because we lost three games against other schools because of our simple mistakes. If we didn’t lose to them, we would have gone to playoffs.

I didn’t really care if we went to playoffs because I was happy I was on the team. As I played my games, I thought of TulgaT and what he would say to me if he were there. Now I believe that a hero can help you through tough times.