Laugh it off!

Hannah - USA

I am a teenager. My experiences and mistakes have taught me lessons. One lesson that I’ve learned over my short fourteen years is, I believe I ought to be able to laugh at myself. My friends, the media, my parents, and I have influenced this belief. Everyone makes mistakes, and sometimes they’re pretty hilarious. I make a lot of mistakes, I’ll mix up my words and I’ll say “My itch noses” or “there’s eye in my soap!” I’ve fallen off the diving blocks countless times, and I’ve tripped in front of a guy I liked. So, whenever I stumble and collapse to the ground, I remember to laugh at myself. If it was funny for everyone else, why not laugh at myself? It’s also less embarrassing, to be honest. I laugh at myself at least once a day. It’s one of the best things I can do for myself. When I laugh, I sometimes snort so it makes me laugh even harder. Giggling is excellent for the soul!

What if someone was making fun of you for the time you ripped one in the middle of class, and you felt embarrassed? Would you sit there and cry about it? Well, that’s funny, I would laugh. My friends and family will sometimes make fun of the way I speak or mimic me. I just chuckle and move on. There’s no thinking about it.

Experiences with my friends have also taught me that not everyone can laugh at themselves the way I do. I’m not hard on myself, but I am quirky and honest, sometimes even brutally honest. Even though poking fun at people is entertaining, I try and not do it so much, because sometimes, friends will start to take words personally, and get hurt. I keep laughing at others to a positive point where, hopefully, no one will get hurt. If I really make fun of a friend a lot, I make sure I know them well, and that they’re laughing too.

This world is too harsh not to laugh at myself. Most of the world has been good to me, but I’m only fourteen. In some ways laughing at myself could be considered kind of odd, but I don’t care. It’s simply a thing I’ve learned, I can’t get hurt because someone laughs at me for something silly, I’ll laugh with them. “Laughter is the best medicine.”

Not only will I laugh at myself but if someone is being a jerk to me, I’ll bear in mind that if I’m mean back, I’m just as awful as them. So, even though something’s not funny at all to me, I could still laugh and make it look like something doesn’t bother me. For others it may be hard, but I just laugh and let it go. I won’t let an impractical comment keep me down too far. Mean people only want to see others upset, so why give them that opportunity? I say just laugh it off!