Quit Being Such a Wuss

David - LA, California
Themes: fear

I believe that nobody should be held back by their fears. I believe that our fear is just one big obstacle we must all overcome to succeed or have fun.

Being scared of the dark was a big fear of mine when I was a little kid. I used to be so afraid that even if the sun was out and I was in a dark room I’d start crying. I could never be in the dark or out at night by myself with out being scared. After a while I got over it. I guess I got used to it as I got older or I grew out of it. This was when I was five years old, but now I like being out when it’s night.

I got used to getting over my fears as I got older. I grew out of them. One big fear of mine was the ocean or the deep end of the pool. A couple years ago I was swimming when I shouldn’t of have because I didn’t really know how to swim and I almost drowned. I drowned twice already and it was something that held me back from swimming or learning how to swim. Whenever my friends would play in the deep end of the pool or go way in too deep in the ocean I never went with them. Now I like going in the deep end of the pool and go deeper into the ocean. I got over it by telling myself to stop being such a big wuss its just water. Eventually I got used to being in the deep end. My friends also motivated me by me seeing them having fun and wanting to join them.

My fears held me back from having fun with my friends. I didn’t like going on roller coasters because I was scared of heights. One summer I went to camp and they had a high ropes course that I took. It was an activity where you had to climb trees and rocks, jump off high platforms and walk on ropes high above on trees. I was struggling throughout the whole time. Then when we had to jump down 60 feet, I was scared and I couldn’t do it. The guide was joking with me, I couldn’t do it until my friends convinced me and encouraged me by cheering me on. Ever since then I haven’t been afraid of heights.

California’s biggest roller coaster theme park, Six Flags, is now my favorite theme park. I’ve been on every single rollercoaster ride there. At first I wasn’t going to get on a ride that was really high up until I met this girl and started talking to her. I got her number. When I told her I was scared of heights she thought it was cute and helped me get on the ride. When the ride was over she gave me a kiss for being brave. Ha-ha.

Right now I’m not really afraid of anything. I think sometimes all you need is a little encouragement from your friends or sometimes you need to meet a girl that’s really hot that will help you get over your fear. Well at least that’s all I needed.