Happiness is Only Acquired through Action

Francely - Los Angeles, California

Happiness is Only Acquired Through Action

Last year, the only thing wrong with me was what I didn’t know before: You can’t wait around for happiness. You have to go out and get it.

In order to acquire complete happiness one must first make their loved ones happy. I realized this the day my mom yelled at me.

I hadn’t cleaned my room in a few days, but it wasn’t because I didn’t want to but because I was having finals that week and I was studying for my history test. My mom kept telling me hour by hour, “Clean your room.” But, as any teenager, I ignored her and kept doing my own thing.

When I woke up, the day was bright and clear.

My mom burst into the room, screaming at the top of her lungs, “Todavía no has limpiado este cuarto.” My mom’s words crashing down on me, I felt like crawling into my bed again and not listening to what she had to say because it was always the same thing: clean this, do that. I was tired not only of the same routine, but of her as well. It seemed that she didn’t care that I had a big exam and all that was important was getting the room clean.

I stayed quiet which seemed to anger her more.

I got dressed, picked up some things from the floor and headed out the door.

I got to school a few minutes before the bell rang. I sat down on my seat and waited for the bell to ring so I could take my exam.

The bell rang. They handed out the test.

My eyes scanning the text vigorously, I could not understand any of it. All I kept thinking about was how my mother was probably in my room cleaning, as if she was some kind of maid. I felt bad, but I couldn’t do anything about it now. I finally finished the test; I knew I had done okay on the test because, well, I always do.

I couldn’t be at peace. I had to do something because it was bugging me. I couldn’t go about my day without feeling this horrible guilt.

I got home that afternoon, and began to clean.

When my mother arrived around 6 in the afternoon after a long day at work, she came inside the house and saw me watching T.V. And then again she screamed, “Why are you watching T.V.? You should be doing your homework!”

I stood up and said, “Mommy you’re right.” I walked to my room and started studying for my English exam.

My mom came into my room two hours later, offered me food and said thank you for the help.

This is one example of how I’m accruing my happiness through others. It might be a slow process but it’s a sure one.

I believe in order for true happiness to come to you, you must first make the ones you love truly happy. What will bring happiness to them will probably not make you as happy at that very moment, but I believe in the long run seeing someone grateful and smile must bring happiness to you as well.

Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action.