Moms Know Best

Andrew - Los Angeles, California

Moms Know Best

I believe that I’ve learned that although it’s hard to admit it, I’m secretly glad my parents are strict with me. Because my mom is keeping me in line, it helps me try and do better in school.

Even though I’m 17 years old, my mom won’t let me go out or do anything if she finds out my grades are bad or if she gets a phone call from the school saying that I was tardy or absent from one or more classes.

Then she talks to me about it and I tell her that I’m trying in class. It’s just a little hard for me. Then she responds with “It won’t kill you to try a little harder in school. I want you to be successful in life and I don’t want you living with me when your 30 years old, so shape up.” At first I would not take her seriously, but then I realized she was right.

I realized my mom was right when I found out that all my friends were going to be graduating next year and I’m going to still be in school. They are graduating next year because they did work, came to school, and got good grades. I’m not graduating because I didn’t do work, didn’t come to school, didn’t get good grades, and I still have ninth grade credits. So now I am done with ditching and not doing work because it makes my mom disappointed, gets me in trouble and I will have to stay in school even longer.

I realized she was right because Cesar, my cousin, had trouble getting through high school like me. But he finally buckled down and graduated. But this New Years my cousin had an accident in his construction job. Standing on a high beam, the wind blowing, he fell off the first floor of a school that they were building. From that fall he severed his spinal cord and broke three ribs. The doctors said that there is a good chance that he may never walk again. I think that sucks because he only went to college to learn welding only nothing else. So if he can’t walk any more, what kind of job will he have? He only learned welding in college. He graduated from high school, but he was never strong in his academic subjects. I can relate because my cousin made the same mistakes I did. He wasn’t serious enough in school. I want to learn from his mistakes. Not only do I need to graduate, but I need to do well. If I don’t finish high school with some real skills, what kind of job will I have in the future?

So now I’m trying to do better in school and because my mom is so strict with me she put me on a daily check at school. That is a piece of paper I take to each class every day and get it signed by my teachers so my mom knows if I have homework and if I showed up to class. It really helps me because if I take it home and there is something bad written on it, I will get in trouble with my mom. The consequences of that are that are that I can’t go out for the day. Or if it is really bad, I won’t be able to go out for a week or as long as she says.

So I’m glad my mom is strict with me because my grades are up and I’m doing better. My grades are a lot better then my other years in high school. If my mom was not so strict with me, I would probably still be failing all my classes.